Sunday, September 14, 2008

I used to write letters



I stumbled across letters from my dear high school friend Angela while searching through a box of saved papers. In high school I was a camp counselor and she wrote in at camp and then we continued to write each other while in college. Angela attended the University of Miami Ohio and I was a world away at the University of North Texas. Somehow we continued writing each other well into of junior year.
I hardly saw her, or any of my high school friends who were all back in the Midwest, but the little gems of wisdom she scribbled out for me in technicolor sharpie markers always brightened my day. And even though we were so far apart, we seemed to battle similar dramas.
She is now a wife and mother and I haven't spoken to her in years. I will always be thankful to her for being a kindred spirit and an over-thinker.
So Angela, thanks for the long night cram sessions for Mr. Clough's English classes, teaching me about henna hair dye, and putting numerous smiles on my face every time I received a letter from you in my mailbox.

No comments: