Monday, July 27, 2009

Mix Tape Monday... I want to play the Blues


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

I was lucky enough as a child to have parents who educated me about music. Not taking lessons or anything formal, but music was always playing in the house. Sunday mornings my father would put on an album when he got up in the morning and bare it throughout the house making sure everyone was awake. This is how I became the only girl in the 4th grade to know all the words to Bob Marley and the Wailers. Anytime we were in the car he would quiz me with the radio. My dad first turned me on to the blues.
My brother is an excellent musician, drummer by education but he can play anything you put in front of him. I was in band from the sixth grade... trumpet. I do not consider myself a musician. I dabbled with guitar in high school, I can play an entire Cranberries album. I guess I consider myself a Music Appreciator. I love music, all music... I know everyone says that but it's true. In my younger days I would have laughed at the thought of me listening to country, but after 10 years in Texas I like some country. I know, right.
Well, now that I am out of school and have a little time to devote to practicing... I think I will pick it up again. I will never be a rock star, and that's okay.

No comments: