Monday, March 8, 2010

Mix Tape Monday: I love my brother!

There are many reason I adore my brother Jake. Besides the fact that he is generous and kind, and he has the sweetest girlfriend; he has an amazing ability to recommend the best music.
A couple years ago when he was on Spring Break, we attended SXSW in Austin and had a blast! It was such a wonderful experience for the two of us as we wandered the streets of Austin looking for free shows. He was not yet 21, so we couldn't get him into many of the free show/parties. One of the main reasons we went was to see our favorite band Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, who hail from Indianapolis, which is our hometown. They had a free show at the Dollhouse Clothing Party, but again it was 21 and up. It was outside so we stood behind the velvet rope to listen and admire and sing along to all their songs from afar.  I guess the bouncer was watching us and realized we were not there for the free drinks. So he walked over to us and whispered to Jake and then gave us both wristbands to get in the party. So we moved our way to the front of the stage to hear their last song. When the show was over I asked Jake what the bouncer said to him. He told me the bouncer said..."If I see you with a drink, I'll kick your ass."
Later that night we got to see Margot again and met people who we recognized from their message board. Then we headed down 6th Street to meet up with my friend's band. Again their show was 21 and up, but one of the band members gave Jake his musician bracelet so he could get in the club to hear them play. After the show we made our way back to the car and Jake said, " This was the best Spring Break ever."
This my favorite memory with my brother. And as I plan to go to SXSW this year, I am really wishing Jake and his girlfriend JoAnna could be there, too.
This weeks edition of Mix Tape Monday is a tribute to my little bro, and all the super awesome music he sent me, and the shows we snuck him into!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

3 comments:

Kyla Roma said...

I love this little peek into your relationship- can you sneak me into SXSW some time? ;)

Can't wait to listen to your mix tape when I get home from work!

Brooke Ann Dove said...

Awww. Thanks. I love my little bro, and I wished I lived closer to him.
SXSW is so super great because you don't have to buy tickets to see really great bands, they all put on free shows, too.

kiki said...

i am so glad he had fun that time! he's a trooper! i wish he would come back with us! ya'll are so cute!