Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Feature: Top 10 90's Teen Flix

As an adolescent, my attitudes and fashion were shaped by pop culture, mostly movies. My mother will gladly retell the story of my warped obsession with a pair of butterfly decorated combat boots.When I saw my new friend Heather's Facebook post about watching Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, I began to recall all the great flix from the 90's.
By the time I was a teen, The John Hughes film's of the 80's were already classics at the slumber parties. Those movies built the foundation that allowed the 90's to modify the popular/geek romance and they were sporting threads you could pick up at the mall. Prepare yourselves, let's do the time warp again!

1. Empire Records




" Empire Records open til midnight, this is Mark...Midnight!"

This wonderful flick about a bunch of misfits working in a records store and devising a plan to save said store from corporate America, was my most quoted movie of high school. Not to mention it's killer soundtrack, 90's pop at it's finest. And though most of my friends crushed on the baby faced AJ, I was infatuated with Lucas. He was turtleneck wearing, Confucus talking, Puma sporting, shoplifter chasing beatnik with a bike. And if you haven't seen it since 1994, go grab the Remix Edition with add scenes and fun extras! And always remember, Damn the Man! Save the Empire!

2. Clueless

Besides the infusion of plaid mini skirts, this created an entire new language for teen girls across America! And I'm sure the world over is completely tired of "As if" and "Whatever". This movie also provided a great soundtrack (hello, Radiohead!) But my all time favorite scene is Travis' s acceptance speech for being the tardiest students. "I'd like to thank an LA city bus driver for taking a chance on an unknown kid, without which I might never be tardy."

3. 10 Things I Hate About You

Geeky guy wants popular girl, his smart friend convinces douche-y dude to pay incarceration bound fella to date the popular girl's un-dateable sister which will release said popular girl from parental enforced dating celibacy contract. And love ensues! I was most definetly Kat Strattford in high school (angsty feminist who wants to play guitar) but sadly I had no Heath Ledger. Plus, I totally want to go to a high school where Save Ferris plays at my prom.

4. Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead
What girl doesn't dream of a summer without parents working in the fabulous fashion industry? Meeting your dream guy at a fast food joint and creating a lie to get a really awesome job...the job you swiped from his wretched sister, who is now out to get you, all while repeating "I'm right on top of that, Rose." And, is it kinda weird that the fella who plays Kenny (Keith Coogan) was in another movie with babysitter in the title (Adventures in Babysitting). The dishes are done, man.
Christina spends the entire movie looking wonderfully rad in that weird 80's transition to 90's fashion. Shoulder pads all around!

4. Dazed and Confused
With the amount of famous people, great lines, and the possible drinking game, if you haven't seen it you might have been living under a rock.

6. Drop Dead Gorgeous
The best mockumentary about a beauty pageant in Minnesota ever! With another minor role being played by Allison Janney and cute Brittany Murphy both making their second appearance on today's list, this flick is a comical gem and if you haven't scene it, pick it up for the weekend because it is freaking brilliant!

7. Jawbreaker
Yes that is Rebecca Gayheart, our favorite Noxzema girl and Dexter's Julie Benz. If you haven't seen Jawbreaker it's a dark comedy about a couple of girls who pull a birthday prank on their friend which results in her death. Instead of going to the authorities, Rose McGowen stages a scene to make matters worse. Full of mid-drift cardigans and a cameo from Marilyn Manson.

8. The Faculty
Great cast, ridiculous premise. But honestly, I bet you thought at least once in your high school career that some of the people you roamed the halls with were aliens. Plus, it's a Robert Rodriguez film and Usher is in it.

9. Election
It's smart, funny, and dark. Tracy Flick is on a mission to become a politician and nothing will stand in her way...not even Ferris Bueller. 

10. The Craft
Oh Hollywood, please give me a movie about witches who go to Catholic school! Wish granted! I remember going to this movie with my friends and thinking that they might turn on me and I would come home to a house full of snakes...EEEeeek! I don't care how bad people think this movie is, I watch it every time it comes on TV and I own it...so I could watch it without commercials, but I don't.

What are some of your favorite teen movies from the 90's? I know I left out a couple of that came close to making the list....Can't Hardly Wait, She's All That, Never Been Kissed, and maybe Varsity Blues. And for my dear friend Shawna...Bring It On wasn't made until 2000, so it will have to be placed on another list.

5 comments:

Carrie Rosalind said...

Yes! I love these movies! :) I haven't seen Empire Records though...I wrote it down on my list of stuff to rent! :)

jameejean said...

LOOOVE IT! Movies from the 90s= pure gold. Ten Things I Hate About You was my favorite movie (or atleast ONE of them...) growing up! It was the forst DVD I ever bought!

Mrs. Miller said...

i love all those movies! i found a piece of cardboard in my garage the other day that said "damn the man, save the empire!" haha and i heart bring it on, kirsten and i look like twins! lol

alovelylittleworld said...

Yep,definitely high school in the 90s. I always think of classic teens films being in the 80s, but you have proven the 90s were just as classic! (And yes, great soundtracks!)

Katie said...

Empire Records, man... One of the best 90's Movies. My roommate and I used to watch it over and over and dance in the living room to the Rex Manning song... so fun!
That movie also introduced me to my favorite song in the entire universe (The Dire Straits' "Romeo & Juliet"). Good choices!