Monday, June 28, 2010

Mix Tape Monday: Summer Memories

I've heard your sense of smell can evoke memories like no other sense can. This may be true, but in my case it's sound; better stated, music evokes memories within me like nothing else. I can hear a song on the radio and retell some random event from summers past or hear the Go Go's and think of that picture of my aunt wearing a Go Go's Tee and how cool I thought she was (and is). Every time I hear a song, it is linked to someone or something and brings back memories of coffee shop cruising and talent shows, late nights country drives and camping trips.


Today's uber-long play list is a compilation of songs from several summers. The summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college, devastated by the separation from my high school crush. A summer in college working at a skate shop, going to concerts and parties (including a very strange concert at a bowling alley where Erykah Badu surprised everyone and jumped on stage). A summer in Montana, filled with pictures and time spent with some of the most amazing people on earth. And all the in betweens, within the lyrics and melodies of these songs, my memories are entwined.
 For your listening pleasure, 50 great tunes...and don't judge, Britney Spears does make an appearance.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Do you have a summer song... A song that evokes a special memory every time you hear it?

2 comments:

Diana said...

I would say anything from the beach boys, as cliche as that sounds. when my family and i would go out during the summer, my mom would always play endless summer album when driving around, then we'd play it at the park.

Katie said...

Rilo Kiley + Don Henley + The White Stripes = a summer mix I can get down to. Good choices!