Tuesday, October 19, 2010

From the mind of an addict...

I made myself a silent promise this month...

I WILL NOT THRIFT.

Don't laugh but I sometimes have a little voice inside my head that says, "Today you will find something amazing at Goodwill." or something along those lines. I'm the type that probably goes to a thrift store about twice a week. Luckily, I live in a small town and can usually hit one up on my lunch break. But in an effort to purge my house of unused items I told myself, You will not thrift during the month of October. So far, so good. We are more than half way through the month and I have not taken the lunch detour to my local thrift store. But, it's getting hard, especially when I sit down with my morning cup of coffee and read my favorite blogs and see all the goodies other people are picking up. I just need to smile and comment..."What great finds", and quickly move on to my next read hoping for a tutorial or play list.

Just 12 more days...I can do it!

In the mean time I can just daydream about the goods I usually search for...


Vintage Mugs
Available on etsy

Cameras
source


Books
source

Our Goodwill sells 10 paperbacks for $1, which is very dangerous for a book whore like me.


What are your go-to items in the thrift shop...What do you always leave with?



10 comments:

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Oh wow, that is admirable! I don't know if I could do it. I always seem to leave with cameras, clothes (vintage and otherwise), luggage, and housewares. I'm such a thrift addict!

alovelylittleworld said...

I'm impressed. I'm addicted to book buying too. The problem is, once I buy them.... I often don't read them, I go to the library instead or buy more. I figure I can read them anytime once they are on my shelf. Go figure.

Lauren said...

Aww, not thrifting is so sad. Think of all those poor adorable items that won't have a home because of your resolution!!

(Cute blog, I'm following and I added your button!)

Christine said...

I just recently got into photography... I never thought of looking for cameras at thrift stores. We have a Salvation Army pretty close to us, and I am definitely going to have to check it out. Love your lovely blog! :)

Christine
http://www.stuffbyxtine.com

Lane said...

I ALWAYS leave with at least one vintage or just plain cute book in which I never read any of them.. and if there's a cute camera...well it's coming home with me to. I go at least twice a week...actually I just came home today with 3 new vintage books...Pinocchio, pride and prejudice, and a book by Edgar Allen Poe. Help me haha!

Brooke Ann Dove said...

Pride and Prejudice is my vice...I cannot leave it on the shelf. It must come home with me. I have multiple copies so I'm not sad when I loan them out and they don't return.

the perfect pear said...

Oh my gosh! I totally know what you mean with the little voice in your head! "today you'll find something awesome!" haha totally know what you mean!
xoxo
Lauren
p.s. THANKS FOR FOLLOWING!

amylou said...

I'm a newish follower. Congrats on your challenge. I bet it is incredibly difficult reading other blogs.
I don't always get to go to thrift stores, but I love to stop at garage sales and find cheap decor for my home.

Jennifer Louise said...

Ahh this is a lovely post. ♥
I am literally addicted to buying books.

Ashley said...

ah, I often hear that same little voice when it comes to thrifting! nothing cures a bad day for me like the rush of great vintage score! hang in there though, you can do it!!