Saturday, October 30, 2010

Writing dreams and such

As an aspiring English teacher (I'm so close.), I am in love with the written word. Books, poems, plays, short stories...it doesn't matter. I am profoundly amazed by people who can link words together to paint scenery and evoke emotions. I write in my journal from time to time and occasionally slap a few sentences together in the name of fiction, but nothing I would call writing. Maybe because it's so personal and insignificant to anyone other than me. 

November is National Novel Writing Month. Last year, I read an article about a 7th grade teacher in Colleyville, Texas who presented the idea of writing a novel to her students. And they did it and they kept writing, some students exceeded the 50,000 word requirement and just kept on writing. So I thought, if 7th graders can do it, surely, I can do it.

I am going to attempt to write more than just personal scribbles. I'm going to write a novel. Eek!

Luckily, this movement is concerned with quantity and not quality.  As long as I submit 50,000 words by midnight Nov. 30th, I can call myself a novelist. This is just the jump-start I need to get some writing into gear and fulfill one of those things on my bucket list. I never said it needed to be published...it just says WRITE A NOVEL.

So for those of you who have secret dreams of writing novels, join me in my quest to complete 50,000 words in 3o days! It's only 1,666 words a day!

Click here to build your profile page and let the writing commence!

source

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Good luck on doing this! In the past, I have thought it would be great to try this, but I've never had any ideas for novels so I haven't.