Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekly Update!

This week I got hammered! No, not like that, I mean emotionally.

This was my first full week of teaching all 6 classes. The ability to keep students hovering on the edge of well behaved little devils is emotionally exhausting! I have students who are amazing and I have student who make me want to pull my hair out, but I need to not let bad ones ruin learning for everyone. Right?

We read short stories, discussed settings and characters, and I even threw in a little art class for fun. Then wrapped up the week with vocabulary bingo. But by Friday, I was fried. This week I have 2 days of gerunds and infinitives and 2 days of literature circles wrapping up with a vocab test. Yeesh! This teaching stuff is tiring. I have the utmost respect for all my teachers. I just hope I'm cut out for this, it's kinda late to turn back now.

In my personal life...

http://weheartit.com/entry/2498081

I attended roller derby practice, but I don't have all my gear yet to be able to participate and those of us missing our gear skated around the rink getting comfortable on wheels. I was a little shaky at first but have now gained a little confidence. My skates came in on Friday, but I have a feeling these are just my beginner skates. They are kinda cheap but until I know I'm cut out for this, they will have to do.

I'm still without a name, so any ideas would be helpful. Something literary maybe, with a hint of intimidation.

The rodeo is in town here, so I will soon have pictures of fried food on a stick and farm animals! Yeah!

And lastly...
I would like to thank everyone who is still reading this little blog. I know my posts have been few and far between since I started student teaching. I love the blogging community and all the amazing people I have met through blogging. So, THANKS to all of you who have stuck it out with me while my life has been thrown in a blender and sprinkled with a little havoc!

7 comments:

Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox said...

OOh I always thought a cool derby name would be Helena Handbasket! But I'm sure it's probably been done before :)

good luck!
-Tsuki

grrfeisty said...

hey lady! i didn't know you started doing derby :)
i still don't have a name and it's been 6 months :(
good luck! haha

Mr. Herbst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Herbst said...

Onomatobeatya? Or you could just go by "BOOOM!" Metaforce? Ahiteration? Sorry, we've been covering a lot of figurative language lately in class.

GraphXGrrl said...

For a name, how about:

Pain Jane Austin!

Omnificent Grand Poohbah said...

Literary/intimidation...how about Smackbeth. I'm sure it would make Shakespeare proud! Or less literary names could be Red Pain; Bruisin' Brooke; RedRum; or Slamurai Princess...

bein good to me said...

One day I'll know exactly how incredibly trying being a new teacher is! But for now, I can live vicariously through you. :)
A good friend of mine started derby too and was having a hard time coming up with a name but soliciting from friends is where she came up with one so hopefully you'll pick one soon!
-Lisa