Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just a short venting session.

Even when my cooperating teacher and university supervisor tell me I'm doing a great job managing the class, I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread. As an inexperienced teacher, I feel like I am throwing knowledge like confetti and a small minority of students find its value and keep it, while other students let it fall to the floor and step on it when they exit the classroom.

I'm glad the people determining my grade think I'm doing well, but shouldn't I be more concerned that not all of my students are learning?

Learning, at the high school level, is a choice. I can't force them to take what I am giving them. I just have to disguise it enough where they find some real world application or personal significance and decide it's worth their time.

Okay, I'm done being jaded.

On a happier note, I've been attending roller derby practice and I am loving it! Of course, I haven't taken a hit yet, I feel my cheery outlook my change once I have opponent-inflicted bruises. I'm still nameless, but I guess when I hear/see the right name I'll just know. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Christina Rambo said...

I have been teaching for 10 years...I still feel like that often. Just focus on the fact that you are reaching a few, another teacher is reaching a few and so on. Plus, when you gain experience, you WILL get students from your past that tell you what you meant to them...students you NEVER thought would do such a thing. That is such a GREAT feeling. It just stinks we have to wait so long : ) So...hang in there!

Diana said...

I'm sure you're doing an amazing job and I think being a teacher is such a courageous and noble profession, so you should be proud to even be doing that! Most of us are not that strong. And high school! You're a saint.

I've always been curious about roller derby, but haven't roller skated in a million years. I always thought it looked like so much fun though!