Thursday, May 5, 2011

Books Books Books!

 Summer is just around the corner...yeah! For some of us, this means we have a little extra time to devote to leisure activities. For the rest of us, our work will just double. I'm not quite sure how my summer will turn out, but there is one thing I can guarantee, I will be reading.

Plus, our library just got the most marvelous make-over! Pictures coming soon...

Books, I thought I would recommend a few and you could recommend a few, and then we would all have a wonderful list of books to pull from this summer. So today I'm starting with some YA Lit!

Young Adult Literature

It's a short read, about a girl, Daisy, who has been sent from New York to live with her distant relatives in England. Meanwhile, a war is brewing, and when her aunt leaves for a business trip, the kids are left alone while the Occupation occurs. I don't want to give away any details; no spoilers here. The story is told in first person from Daisy point of view, the punctuation is atrocious, and the love affair is a little untoward, but all in all it was a good read.

Tally is ugly, but in a few short months she will turn 16, have her operation, become pretty, and move to New Pretty Town. At least, that was the plan before she met Shay. Shay is a super trickster who doesn't want to turn pretty and teaches Tally tricks and secret ways to sneak around. Shay tries to convince Tally to run away to the Smoke, a place kids escape to so they don't have to have the operation, but Tally wants to be pretty. Shay disappears, but leaves Tally a coded note. On the day of Tally's operation, she is taken to meet Dr. Cable, head of Special Circumstances, a group of cruel-looking pretties who secure the city. They tell her that she will not be allowed to become pretty unless she follows after Shay and lets the Specials track her to the Smoke. And that is all I'm telling you. This is the first book in a series  Uglies,  Pretties, Specials, and Extras. I read the first installment in a couple of days and have started Pretties, but it has not caught my interest as much. But to give it credit, I have been absorbed in Macbeth for school. I will finish Pretties and submit my findings.


Warning, I cried several times reading this book, but it was amazing. Mia is a seventeen-year-old girl who plays the cello. She and her family decided on a snowy day to go visit some friends, but on the way there they get in an accident. In a coma, Mia has an out-of-body experience and watches her family and friends as they attempt to deal with the situation. She realizes that her fate is completely in her control; does she stay or does she go? 
The story is in first person from Mia's perspective including flashbacks of wonderful moments with her family, friends, and boyfriend. Also included are those teen angsty scene of whether or not Mia fits in. 

I know what your saying, "Brooke, this sounds an awful lot like Lovely Bones." Well, this story focuses on the joy we should take out of life and less on how death can alter other people's lives. Hopefully, that helps.

If you love it, Gayle Foreman wrote a follow up called Where She Went to continue Mia's story.

Books I have already raved about that need to be added because of how awesome they are....

The whole trilogy is amazing; it is a must read.

Lauire Halse Anderson is amazing.  This book is beautiful and haunting.


This novel is a collection of interrelated poems, stories, and songs from 20 teens. Each entry explores the struggles of adolescent life.

Alright it's your turn. Recommend some great Young Adult Literature for the summer.

5 comments:

Mr. Herbst said...

I read a pretty good YAL book called "Red Scarf Girl." It's a interesting Eastern take on their Holocaust- Mao's Cultural Revolution. In it a teen is trying to fit in with her proletariat peers and become a leader in the revolution but can't because of her bourgeoisie family status.

Jan L said...

I love your list of books Brooke! Many of them my students have been reading. I see them carrying around the books unable to put them down.

Lauren said...

Oooo, I love Uglies, Hunger Games and Speak.

I haven't read these others - will have to check them out!

I recommend: XVI by Julia Karr, Numbers by Rachel Ward, Wither by Lauren DeStefano, Shine by Lauren Myracle

Christina Rambo said...

I am on the last book of the Hunger Games series. Great list; I will definitely check some of them out. I highly recommend "The House of the Scorpion."

Brooke Ann Dove said...

Oh, Christina- I totally picked this book up at the thrift store because you recommend it!