Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I need to get organized!

http://weheartit.com/entry/2304053

The past year of my life has been non-stop. Working full-time, going to school full-time, and life commitments have made my life seem hectic at a constant fast pace. But As I finish up this semester and embark on the last semester of my graduate courses (Eeek!), I feel the need to get my life back in order.

So thanks to the folks at Simple.Organized.Life. , I have 10 tips to de-clutter and get organized!

1. Have a place for everything.
I am about 40% good on this one. I have places for somethings, but the things that need a home usually accumulate and create a mess.

2. When you bring home one thing-send one thing out the door.
I am at about 20% on this one. I have been much better lately, but sometimes it's hard for me to get rid of things...I have the mentality that I will give things as gifts, or re-purpose them, but in reality they tend to just take up space.

3. Boxes, Boxes, Boxes
Even if you have a lot of stuff, boxes make it seem more manageable. They recommend free boxes, and discourage plastic bins when free storage is available. I already broke this rule and bought 2 tupperware bins last week.

4. Craigslist, Ebay, and Amazon are your friends!
Amen! I just sold back 6 textbooks to Amazon for a nice chunks of change. I would also you are your firends getting together for a garage sale. And in the blogger wold, Shop My Closet is becoming more popular and a little less of a hassle.

5. Purge twice a year.
Take a weekend and just get it done.

6. Put stuff away in storage until you need it.
Not paying for storage, but placing Xmas decorations in the garage until next year. They don't need to be taking up closet space. One of my goals this summer is to clean out my storage unit and stop paying for storage.

7. Start small.
If you are overwhelmed like I am, start small. Purge just 10 minutes everyday or fill up one trash bag everyday.Starting small can make the process more manageable.

8. Unsubscribe to magazines and catalogs.
Catalogs are available paper free on the internet and magazines are free from your local library. Most people only read magazine once or twice then they just sit around. If you rent them from the library, you have them for 2 weeks and give them back...no clutter!

9. But multi-function versions of products.
A coffee maker that both grinds the beans and makes the coffee or universal remotes. This reduces the amount of stuff you have to find a home for.

10. Make lists.
If you write tasks down when you think of them, you are more likely to accomplish your goals. They recommend carrying a notebook to jot down lists. I would also like to add phone reminders. I set alarms on my phone to remind me to take my bags to Goodwill.

So there it is, 10 tips to get de-cluttered. It's my goal, with my life slowing down in then next month or so, I am hoping to get more organized and in turn have a little more time to be crafty. I can't craft in clutter.

1 comment:

Mrs. Miller said...

my de cluttering usually leads to more of a mess...sadly. but hey i try :)