Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weekend in Excursion

Because I missed the annual pilgrimage to the Indianapolis 500, my husband organized a trip to the Firestone 550 at Texas Motor Speedway. There are a few things about this race that I like. First it's in the evening, so I don't need ridiculous amounts of sunscreen to mingle with the regular folk. It's less crowded. The seats are far more comfortable and you can see the entire track.

My brother and his co-worker, Gordon, flew down from Indiana to join us for the race. It was nice to see my brother even if it was only for 12 hours.

The race was relatively crash-free, just 4 single car incidents. The passing was exciting and I, as always, cheer like they can hear me over the engines reaching 200 mph.

This year after the race, they let the hoards of spectators tour the garages while teams were trying to get packed up and head out...it was a mad house! But, my friend Jimmy and I were determined to find James Hinchcliffe so he could join us for a beer. Alas, we did not see him, but we did almost get run over by his mechanics.


Justin Wilson won the race, but Tony Kanaan (my favorite!) could have had shot if he had not been blocked by Will Power (insert shaking fist here). Hinchcliffe aka Hinchtown had an excellent race and finished 3rd. Woohoo!


So Happy to spend some time with my little brother!
We got to walk across the track on our way to the garages!

On the way home Patrick and I stopped at Dinosaur Valley State Park to see fossilized dinosaur tracks. I was a little disappointed, but I was also not willing to hike miles in 100 degree weather to see the good ones. Luckily, there were big giant fiberglass dinos to make up for it. 

No comments: